You may have heard me say several times on this blog that the opposite of racism is not equality–it is prestige. “Prestige” as in “better than”. Prestige as in “Black superiority”. Prestige as in “Uppity Niggers”. Prestige as in “Reverse racism”. If you ever saw a Black man claim that there is no racism left or claim that racism is not a major obstacle for Black people, that Negro ain’t crazy… from his point of view, he may see something the rest of us don’t see.
Don’t get your panties all in a bunch yet; let me explain.
See, there is much truth to what that handpicked Negro is saying. I’m saying here that I agree with him to a point, but I disagree that he said it. What he is saying, when he claims that racism is a thing of the past is this:
Racism exists. But it cannot hold you back if you don’t let it.
Some of us give White America way too much power and way too much respect. There are many things we can do to eliminate the affect racism has on us, but we simply don’t do it. Now, I’m not suggesting we can escape its clutches in a 100% guaranteed, surefire way. No way–this is still the home of racism and prejudice. But if we do certain things, we can isolate it to areas where it can be contained and dealt with. So much of the racism that we encounter is simply OUR fault. Meaning, had we not done this–that wouldn’t have happened. Had we done more of that, this wouldn’t happen. If we dot our Is and cross our Ts, this country would have fewer opportunities to wield the racist stick at us and do what he enjoys doing the most. However, so many of us screw up–we play right into the hands of Willie Bobo himself, and it gives him great pleasure to do what he does.
And let me say this: If we do our part, we make it very difficult for racist practices to be used against us. We will never eliminate it completely. That’s like expecting the Lion to be a vegetarian. What I am saying is if you want to avoid the Lion’s jaws, stay the fuck out his cage. A 17 year old tried as an adult on his first offense and given the maximum prison sentence wouldn’t be able to complain that the cop beat his ass and both attorneys and the judge conspired to ruin his life had that stupid mother fucker NOT shot another Black child. Capiche? This country is going to fuck with us. Just don’t make it easy for them, is all I’m saying.
So. What are the steps now to gaining, building, and maintaining prestige? I’ll tell you.
Who remembers how much White people hated Asians in the 1970s and 1980s? Yeah, after the Philippine Insurrection, the Korean War, Pearl Harbor, and Vietnam–White folks HATED Asians. Even Asians who had nothing to do with this shit. Thai, Indonesian, Okinawan–if you resembled anything labeled the “enemy” they hated you and wanted to kill your children. But what happened? I recall being called a “Chink” at summer camp when I befriended two Taiwanese boys who spoke little English, because I had lived in Taiwan and spoke Mandarin (okay, I’m half Filipino too. sheesh). Those boys who ostracized me for being friends with the “Vietnamese” boys learned that shit somewhere. In 1982, none of us were old enough to truly remember Vietnam or Pearl Harbor–they learned that bullshit from their parents. But today, we would all be in our 40s, and I guaran-fucking-TEE most of those same White boys wanted to fuck an Asian girl, a few might even be married to one, loves Asian food, watches martial arts flicks, has at least three or four Asian friends, and probably works with a few Asian guys, and get this: Will raise their hand to God and swear on their mother’s grave that they were raised to see “no race” or some bullshit ass lie like that.
What happened? Why do White folks no longer hate Asians? When was the last time you even heard a White guy ranting about Asians or calling people Guks, slant eyes, or chinks? Where did that racism go? Did Asians protest or get a law passed? Did they form organizations like we did to combat that shit? Did they push for an Asian President, walk around in Asian clothing, get mad at Asian guys who fuck with White girls or Asian women who have children by White men? They were able to eliminate that racism, but we–in all our effort, been here 300 years longer–with all our money, celebrities, even our Negro President–you can be a law-abiding, college educated, peaceful, friendly, successful Black man, and in the eyes of the dirtiest, poorest, most illiterate White dude in the trailer park, you ain’t nothing but a common Nigger.
And this is why the Brother at the beginning of this article seems to be a tad bit mentally ill when he says “Ain’t no racism”. There will always be racism. Yet Asians aren’t stung by it. And I’m sure if a White dude who really hated Asians out here allowed himself to actually say, “What are you doing talking to that Chink?” 90% of the most racist White cats who hate Obama and love Trump would look at that dude and say “Mother fucker are you crazy?” Cause he would be. Ain’t nobody tripping off Asians no more. So the question, my brothers and sisters is “WHY?”
Let me break it down:
- First, Asians do commit crimes. They prey on each other, too. But they do not highlight those who commit crimes. More energy is spent on the ones who don’t commit crimes–their children and academics, local businesses, cultural centers. We, on the other hand, follow our criminals to make sure they are “punished fairly”, we glamorize those who have been to prison, our kids look up to them, we embrace them, write songs about them, pretend to be criminals ourselves, we dress like them. Asian crime doesn’t represent Asians. Black crime is actually a part of our pop culture. Don’t get mad; I’m just calling it like I see it. Any time a brother with a job is seen by our women as less sexy than a brother with a record–we are in mother fucking trouble
- Asian communities are ethnic. They embrace their cultures–we look to erase it. Either that, or we let big business tell us what will be our culture. You mean to tell me a billionaire record exec can determine what’s popping in the streets? Hell no–but whatever they decide negroes will listen to–y’all MFs will buy it. Asians on the other hand, send their children to “Chinese school” so that cultures are lost. We make fun of Afrocentric programs, or marginalize them
- They humble themselves and sacrifice their generation to make way for the next. We dress up, buy nice cars–as soon as we have the money. Yet when we die, our children must hold car washes to bury us because we spent our money in our youth and didn’t leave them shit but bills. Each time a Black man buys luxury items for himself, while his children have no college fund, and no inheritance (via our own retirement funds)–we are actually stealing from our children’s future.
- We “love our children” buy dressing them in the latest fashions, buying them electronics, sell them a fantasy of being a professional athlete or future entertainer–while ignoring their education. We will buy $200 sneakers but think $80 is too much for math tutoring. Many Asian kids got through college under parents who have no education past grade school, some didn’t even speak English. Our children make fun of children who excel and exclude smart Black children from the race (“you talk so White”, as if Black children aren’t articulate too)
- Many Asians do not believe in credit or banks. They deal with cash, save money in safes and freezers. We apply for credit and live beyond our means. This is why they can open businesses and we can’t. We live for show. By the way, please don’t believe the bullshit that every Asian arrives in America to a government loan to open a business. If they do get a loan, do you know where it comes from? It comes from a family member who had saved money for years before they arrive. How many of you would loan your cousin $15,000 to open a shop? I didn’t think so.
- They pool resources. Entire families will run a restaurant, a store, sometimes two or three families will collaborate on a business. You can’t even stand your own relatives for a weeklong family reunion or Thanksgiving dinner.
- Here’s something you may not know: Asian families buy in bulk. My mother use to buy a whole cow, a hundred pounds of chicken, entire goats–with a cousin and her family, sometimes two. She and my cousin would buy an 80 lb sack of rice and split it. We often sent food back and forth between households. Babysat each others children while the other worked extra jobs. For a twenty year period, we almost always had a relative living with us. Everyone had money, even though we may have looked poor. Ijs!
- Politically, Asians look at politics as the White man’s game. Just stay your ass out of Chinatown. Asians know these guys have no love for them, and they don’t try to demand it neither. My mother use to warn me about complaining about racism: it’s like asking the tiger to be a vegetarian. Get yours, let him get his. Stay out of his pockets and he’ll stay out of yours. We haven’t learned that. We live here, and prospered most when we couldn’t go to his stores and lived in his neighborhoods. But now that we live in his neighborhoods, and you wonder why his police are fucking with you?
- If we could somehow stop 90% of our children from commiting crimes and instead focus on education, if we could stop our men from using drugs and drinking alcohol and solving problems by fighting–we could singlehandedly shut down the prison industrial complex. Like it or not, this is true. A judge can’t throw the book at you if you don’t get arrested. Sure, false arrests happen. But if none of us committed crimes, it would be far easier to isolate those instances when they happen. We must eliminate crime and crimespeak from our everyday language and actions. So many kids are playing gangsta, it’s hard to discern who is a real gangsta and who is just dressing like one!
- Asians don’t ask America for much at all. They may demand here or there when there is an injustice–and very often that demand is answered. More on this later. But other than that, Asians don’t demand jobs; they create jobs. They open businesses. They will get into every business thinkable. If you spend money on it, Asians will sell or provide it.
- But here’s the thing ^^ once it is known that Asians have a business–they automatically have a client base. A fiercely loyal, consistent client base. When was the last time a Chinese or Vietnamese came into your business and spent money solely with you?
- Speaking of which ^^ Asians don’t say stupid shit like we do along the lines of “See? This why I don’t spend money with other Asians!”
- I don’t care if you offer something cheaper than a Chinese or better than a Vietnamese–most of them will not go to you when their brother sells it
- And items #10-13 all go towards creating not just a geographic Chinatown. They create economic Chinatowns which shrink the size of any city where Asians are spread all over. In the 1980s, my mother would travel from Silver Spring, Maryland on the BUS to shop in Fort Washington, MD, just because it was the only Filipino store in town–until one opened in Wheaton (easily 30-40 miles). We as a people do not have that kind of discipline. We only had it when we the White man told us we couldn’t shop nowhere but Black owned stores. As soon as he gave us permission to buy from him–we busted through door like they had learned to bottle up sex or something.
- And that economic Chinatown is what empowered all Asian people who were a part of that community. Even in cities where there is no “Vietnamese Town”, the Vietnamese know where all the Vietnamese businesses are–and will cross Hell and highwater to shop there. This circulates the money made from one Vietnamese family to the next, over and over, until someone decides to break the chain and spend the money elsewhere. If you ever got in good with an economic community–you will quickly see how powerful they are, because you will have so much business even if you hated Vietnamese–you would learn to respect them and shut your damned hole. This economic community is more powerful than any protest or social media campaign. It may only represent 2,000 families–but we are talking each member of those 2,000 families and their incomes. And their votes. And their labor. And their spending power. And their ability to not spend with you. And their friends and their families. 2,000 families isn’t much, but you take 2,000 families working in unison–it is more powerful than an atomic bomb.
- Question, how much money do Black people spend on nails in a month? How much money do nail shops bring in each month? Why aren’t more of us opening our own shops? The school is only 10 weeks long. Do you know how much money a nail tech makes in a day? Hundreds, but you worried about a damned $15/hr job. For as much as Black folks spend on nails each month–damn near none of us have a shop. So we are throwing millions of dollars at that community, financing their kids college funds, financing their other businesses, their cars, their homes, their monthly budgets–none of which is spent in a Black business.
- Now, let’s replace “Nails” with everything else we spend our money on. Alcohol. Clothing. Cars. Phones and electronics. Insurance. Rent. Groceries. Gas. Day Care. You name it. How many of these businesses are Black owned businesses?
- And there, ^^ is the problem. There are Black businesses out there–but you aren’t patronizing them. You might go to work, but you are, I’m sure, making less than you’d make if you sold one of those products we spend our money on. We simply don’t. Why? Because opening a day care, buying an apartment building, selling alcohol (yuck, more on this later), selling groceries, selling insurance–is not in our plan.
- Asian communities, then, are 100% self reliant. You think Asians don’t like Black folks? Well guess what–Asians don’t like WHITE folks. And they will not spend their money with them, they don’t ask them for shit neither. They come here, and don’t even respect America enough to learn to speak the language like you’d like em to. On one hand, you can cuss em out, tell them their dick is small, learn to speak English, whatever. But the bottom line is that he is throwing you out of HIS business, and he will never do anything to benefit you, yet no matter what–you will still end up spending money to benefit HIM. White or black, this Asian is existing here in America without asking you for a damn thing, and his resentment for what y’all did to his family back during the war is irrelevant because he is mostly likely completely independent of most of us and none of us can hold him back from achieving his goals. And if the US gets to irritating for his taste, he will take his money and hop on a plane and go someplace else. For as much as Black folks love Africa and hate the White man–how many of us will board and plane and go? Yup. That’s why the white man has no love or respect for you; cause you in his house, he knows you are not independent of him, and you will always end up having to go back to him for something. Permission, justice, money–something. We are somewhat politically immature, you see, true racism is not words and insults and calling names. TRUE racism is how it affects lives. It is economic. It affects freedom. It affects health and whether you live or die. Remember that. So what these white folks don’t like you. Live your life so that their hate has zero effect on your pockets, on your household, on your life. Stop expecting the people that hate you to accept you. Integration is garbage. Learn to be independent.
We think prestige is a state job where you dress sharp and have a nice house, clothes and car. No–prestige is not needing your oppressor for a daggone thing. Prestige is having something your oppressor wants–your business, your money, your votes–and not giving it unless he does something for you. We have no prestige. You could be a millionaire Black man who is loved by many–and he will charge you with a crime and imprison you and no one will do a damned thing about it. That isn’t prestige, there is no price tag on it. It is a condition, a state of being.
No election talks about the “Asian voting bloc”. You know what Asians are getting involved in elections? Most likely, Asians with little connection to their culture and community. Most have never been to their parents’ countries, they don’t speak the language, they have 1/2 white children. Ethnic Asians know that no matter who is in office, Chinatown will operate the same, and it will not affect my income and lifestyle. The Civil Rights leaders of the 60s had a role: they were combating human rights issues. We no longer have that same fight, the playing field is more level. Even when they were in the middle of their Civil Rights struggle, they did not protest; they withdrew to their communities and built lives without White folks. So there is no White support of Chinatown–who gives a fuck. We tend to invite them to interfere–excuse me, join–us in whatever we do, and we so badly have it wrong. Build our communities, strengthen our families, concentrate our power and efforts. That’s how you build prestige, and that is how you eradicate racism.
Bottom line: Effective Civil Rights movement shouldn’t focus on this country or the White man. America will always be America, the White man will always be the White man. But we focus on ourselves, our families and our communities–we make it difficult for our enemies to attack us, and we make it easy for our allies to support us. You cannot ask a man who is feeding you or seeing you at your worse to treat you with respect and dignity. You can only demand it by being a people who is worthy of it. Most of us are worthy of respect. Too many of us are not. We have to turn our focus inward. Don’t ask him for anything, be independent, be strong, be united. When he is no longer needed to feed our people–and only then–we will have the opposite of racism. Remember I said this: You can only hold down a people when they are not standing tall. Get off your knees, my brothers and sisters.
Thank you for visiting my blog.