Uppity, educated Black folks: I apologize in advance for using old-school Ebonics in the title of this article. I didn’t mean to offend.
Or, should I say–“I didn’t mean to embarass”?
You know how some folks get a little educated and all of a sudden they don’t want anyone to know where they come from. Or the folks they left back in their old life now embarass them. We are famous for that kind of behavior, as if we would rub off the Black if it were possible. Cause some of us think we are “new” Black folk, and the “old” way is somehow outdated, or bad.
But there are many lessons “new” Black folks would benefit from, if they listen to the old Black folks wisdom… and if you listen closely, I’m about to teach you somefin.
There is an old saying that the older folks teached us youngins, that dates back to slavery:
God answers prayers faster if you pray on yo feets…
Back in the day when Black people couldn’t count on no one to help but ourselves and God–when you really couldn’t count on no one else but God. You couldn’t even count on other Black people to help, because everyone feared the wrath of White men more than they feared God Himself. A Black man would turn you in faster than water wets shit back then. The only people it seems we would protect from the wrath of the white man these days are criminals. You know I’m right: you lie to cover your sons–you bail them out, you picket when they get locked up, you believe their bullshit lies when they call home talking “momma, I swear I didn’t know that gun was under the seat–it must have been Trayvon and thems…” When you know damn well the boy down the hall broke into that apartment, you tell the cops you ain’t heard nothing. When pookie and them stole from the job, you just kept your mouth shut, until the boss decides to write you up for coming to work late. You know I’m telling the truth.
So, we can’t trust our own kind no more than you can trust the good folks at the job who blame Affirmative Action for YOU having a job there. Now, don’t be surprised that your slave-ancestors couldn’t trust their fellow plantationers neither. Hell, you can’t even be trusted to spend your dollars with Black businesses before going to them Koreans who treat you so poorly, or the Chinese who rip you off every chance they get. (Asians, don’t get mad–I have a Korean stepmom and I grew up in the Chinese community–so please don’t get your panties all in a bunch; I’m not racist)
The slave of yesterday, had to fend for himself, so when he was praying for God to set him free, he had to pray on his feet. In other words, he didn’t wait for God to arrive in a chariot and carry him to freedom. No, God put a message in his heart and told him to run North. And if He answered “Yes, you get freedom”–he didn’t get caught and ended up a free man. But what of those Black folks who stayed on the plantation, praying on they knees, waiting for God while singing “Swing Low, Sweet Chariot”? Well, they died as slaves–some even died as slaves after the Emancipation Proclamation. The man who prayed on his feet taught his children, and his grandchildren, and his great-grandchildren to “pray on they feets”; while the man who prayed on his knees taught his kids and grandkids, and great-grandkids to wait on the chariot–most likely driven by that White man on the picture (that’s supposed to be Jesus) in the kitchen to solve their problems. Sorry y’all, but God don’t work that way.
And here we arrive at my point.
We must change how we view God, His role, His blessings, and how we incorporate the Almighty into our life. Ultimately, we must change how we deal with our problems.
It is a slave mentality to expect our Master to feed us, to clothe us, to provide for us, and all we have to do worship and obey him. Black brothers and sisters, this was taught to the slave to keep him docile and neutered. They didn’t want us to ask for rights and fairness. They didn’t want us become self-sufficient. They didn’t want us to fight for what we wanted and stand up for ourselves. So, to teach a “turn the other cheek” religion was the method of warfare. Question. WHO DOES THAT SHIT? Have you ever seen a Western (supposedly Christian) government turn the other cheek? Do you see the White man turning the other cheek? Did the Roman Catholic Church ever “turn the other cheek”?
Do you support the war on terror?
Do you believe in men having the right to defend themselves and their families?
You don’t even believe in “turn the other cheek”, admit it. But for some reason, whenever we are discussing rights for the Black man, we are back on that “turn the other cheek” garbage, and no Christian nation or people have ever turned the other damned cheek.
Now, because of generations of this stuff, we are still in the slave mentality. The slave, despite working the land and tending livestock, and building things with his own hands, and being stronger and just ask capable as the master, still relied on the master to eat and to have clothing and a home. Today, more than 100 years after slavery, you still rely on your Master to clothe and feed and house you. You still look to the White controlled government to solve your problems and the problems in your community. You still blame the white man when things don’t go well, and to say that slavery is the cause of your plight.
But let’s look at some other people who have been oppressed and overcame–without their oppressor’s help:
- The Vietnamese. Arrived in America in the 70s and 80s after we bombed the hell out their country. The French, the Russians, the Chinese raped and pillaged, and left their economy in shambles on top of our military. Hundred of thousands came to the U.S. dirt frigging poor, and today they are one of the highest per capita income ethnic groups in America. In the BLACK community, the Vietnamese are perhaps the wealthiest people. With one industry–ONE–they have put three generations of children through college, and today you would rarely find a poor Vietnamese. The industry? Nails. Who made them rich? Black women on welfare. Think I’m lying? Go into a nail shop during the first ten days of any month, and count how many girls working there. Then go in the middle of the month, you’ll find half as many. Want to know why? Most of the girls have another job, they come in only at the beginning of the month for the rush. How do I know? My mother used to be one. What I wouldn’t give to see a Black-owned nail shop! But you probably wouldn’t patronize them…
- The Korean. 60 years after the war, these people were over run by our military, then Japanese raped them, and then they had an internal war. In the 70s, the Koreans came here to be our poor. But they worked as landscapers and laborers, and in the back kitchens of Japanese restaurants and Chinese laundries. But they discovered something, and today, they are one of the richest in the Black neighborhood. What is that something? Niggas like to drink alcohol. So they sell us liquor. The same legal drugs that is killing our families, our health, and our communities and our morals. But we buy the shit like hotcakes. Then they discovered something else. We are terribly irresponsible with our money. Now, every liquor store offers two things: credit and check cashing (some even offer payday loans). And who mad them rich? YOU DID.
- The Jew. Don’t hand me that world-domination bullshit. The poor Jew from the Third Reich and the Rockefellers are completely different, unrelated people. But they have something in common. They stick together, and they believe in working for the NEXT generation. They bust their ass, so their children will prosper. We haven’t learned that as a people. We floss, generation after generation, and no one saves a damn dime. So, when we die, we don’t leave our children shit but memories and a crapload of hospital bills to pay with our insurance money (assuming you left them insurance). The Jew of the 1950s and 1960s–the ones who didn’t go to Israel to steal the Arab’s land–were hard working, yet shrewd people. But they weren’t given a thing, except hope and a future–something every Black man has. The only difference is that we squander our opportunity. Even our wealthy do nothing for the community, and in many cases–our wealthy act like its a race to see if we can spend our entire net worth before our children can inherit it. Yesterday’s Jew was a poor man, who ate light so his children can dine rich. Today, you probably work for his kids. Even you six-figure making Black folks… the Buppies.
- The Middle Easterner–Don’t give me that “oil money” bullshit. I’m talking about the old cab drivers you use to laugh at with the accent. The guys driving the ice cream trucks you use to patronize as a child. The men at the 7-11 your momma use to cuss out, while you shoplifted. Remember how we use to imitate them when we were teenagers, talking about “homie, smell you later!”?? What happened to him? Well he is now driving a brand new Mercedes. See, chances are his children and grandchildren are most likely your doctors and they bought him that Benzo. His son now owns the 7-11 you just went to today. Or his kids own the used tire shop you got your used tires from. And you had the nerve to laugh at his kids 20 years ago because they wore K-Mart clothes while you had the designer jeans.
- The Mexican. 30 years ago, he was the landscaper and fruit picker you laughed at when watching racist TV shows. You imitated his accent while watching (racist) “Speedy Gonzales” cartoons. Your fathers and grandfathers turned their noses up at the jobs he took, talking about “Nigga, I’d NEVER work on a damn plantation again!” Well guess what? Farms are million dollar business ventures. Landscapers in my town make around $20 an hour, and tell me where a guy with no high school diploma can make that kind of money. Vicente Fox was telling the truth when he said that Latinos take jobs that Black people don’t want. Yeah, today they work at “Yack in the Box” for minimum wage, and in ten years they are managers at some company, because they have a stable work history and don’t take a day off for nothing. The joke about Latinos living on top of each other in a home? Yup, it’s true. But that’s how money gets saved, and children get educated and families stay together. Tell you what, those who know me, know that I am very close to the Hispanic community (my stepfather is a Cuban, and my mother worked with Latinos her whole time in America) and I can say I have never met a Latino who was a deadbeat Dad. Latin men will wear thrift store clothes and put his children in new outfits, and there is a lot you can learn from these brown brothers. This is why White men are all up in arms, because this community brings with them the vision, work ethic and discipline that the American Founding Fathers arrived with. It’ll be less than half a century, I guarantee this, before our future Presidentè will live en el Casa Blanca.
God answers all prayers. But he is most likely to give a “yes” answer to people who do for self, and then pray for success. When a lazy man prays, God usually answers with “Maybe later, right now you ain’t ready.”
Consider the following story, straight out your bibles (paraphrased). When Moses saw the Promise Land, the people didn’t want to go in with him because of the giants. God answered for them to wander in the desert, and when they died off He gave their children’s children the Promise land. Your Great Grandfathers were go-getters, so they reaped the rewards of their labor (the rennaissance). Your Grandfathers were go-getters, and they reaped their rewards (Civil Rights). Your father’s generation was the recipients of that generation, so they came up allowed to date white girls, get jobs next to white men, and a kind of prosperity man of our people were previously denied. So our generation grew up lazy, materialistic and prideful. We forgot God and His laws. We have been acting a damned fool. We still rely on our parents to bail us out, and where we don’t have them, we turn to the government. We accuse the government of not caring about Black people (which is true), but at the same time we expect it to give us Affirmative Action and Reparations, welfare and financial assistance. We need to think like a people who can rely on no one but ourselves and God, and then act accordingly–by praying on our feet. Once we do that, we will see our prayers being answered.
Consider this story. This young lady, as beautiful and talented as she was, was talking of “rescuing her mother from the projects”. Excuse me? Why do I keep reading about children rescuing parents? We must change our mentality. We keep asking others to do for us, what we should be doing for ourselves. We must grow up as a people. We have to.
Thanks for visiting my blog.