I believe wholeheartedly in the “do for self” philosophy.
I further believe that if there is something you want–anything–there is a three-step process you must do that will GUARANTEE success. Would you like to learn it? Take note of the following, and commit it to memory, because it is failproof:
Pray to God for guidance and blessings
Make it happen
Pray to God for praise and thanks
Now if you do that–begin your problem solving by asking the Creator for assistance, you endeavor to make it happen (as opposed to asking someone else for help), and then thank God for the outcome… You can’t fail. It’s simple.
Note that I said this is the process for success. I did not say that you would get what you want–I just said that you will be successful. Remember that God answers all prayers. You just may not get the answer you were asking for. Regardless of what level of spirituality you believe you are on, or how much sinning you’ve done, or how many good deeds you’ve done, everything we are granted in life comes from the One who created the Heavens and the Earth, and He does His will…. like it or not. The three answers you might get?
Simple enough. So, for you to pray to God for guidance on whatever problem you have, but then turn away from that prayer and ask a human being to give it to you, isn’t that hypocritical? I mean, regardless of how much money this person has, or how much power they have, yada yada yada, it is God who makes things happen.
Well, let’s rephrase that: It is God who ALLOWS things to happen. No effort you embark will succeed without His blessings, and no effort will fail with it. No plan is complete without this step, and nothing I tell you will work without it. So there.
And I told you all of that to tell you this.
When the issue of not having enough money comes up, we have different kinds of people. One group just goes without. They don’t have enough money and they don’t see a way out. So they do nothing but allow their bills to not get paid, they go through life without the things they want, and they struggle just to have the things they need. The second group get what they want, but through ill-gotten means. These folks lie, cheat and steal to get it. This is the woman who sleeps with men who disgust her to have enough money to feed her kids. The man who pretends to fall in love with women he has no interest in to keep a roof over his head. The guy who coaxes his parents into loaning him money from their hard-earned savings account to start that pressure washing business he read about in the magazines or the Amway account. Finally, you have the go-getters. They are not always skilled laborers or highly educated, but they hustle and find a way to make that cake and get the bills up to date. Let’s talk about this guy.
In a nutshell, everyone reading this article can increase their income just by getting a second job or getting some sort of side hustle. But I’d like to dig a little deeper. It’s not just getting a second job that will do this for you but it is a process of life-changing moves in your life that will improve your standard of living. I’d like to sum this system up and I hope you will find something useful…
- The quick path to prosperity is not so much taking in more money, as it is decreasing the amount you spend. If you make $10k more per year, but you are the kind of guy who lives paycheck to paycheck, you will have no choice but to spend more money as your income increases. As a result, you will still live paycheck to paycheck–it’s just bigger paycheck to bigger paycheck. Learn to track what you are spending and give yourself a weekly spending limit. And when you reach this spending limit, consider yourself broke. By doing this, you will always have extra money to spend, and won’t end up broke without noticing it.
- You must pay yourself. People start savings accounts where they put money in, and then when the checking account reaches zero, they withdraw from savings. Treat your savings account as an employee. Imagine cashing your paycheck and then a few days before payday, your boss comes to you and asks to borrow some of that money back. Yeah, it’s like that.
- Extra jobs are not a regular part of your life. So don’t think of them like that. Extra jobs are like the friend of out of town who comes to stay with you for a limited amount of time, and while he’s there, he will pay you a few bucks to stay with you. Don’t treat the job like it will always be there; and save and spend accordingly. I use to get a part time second job every Christmas season because there is a lot of money to be made during this time. And by the time the holiday season is over, I have a few extra thousand in the bank. The rest of the year I work my normal hours, give or take a few times that I needed extra money for something.
- Instead of taking a loan when you want something, work extra–extra hours, a part time job, etc.–to be your own bank account… to give yourself a raise.
- Remember to bank the money until it’s over to see the true fruit of your labor.
- Learn how to hustle extra money or–as some would put it–start a small business. The easiest ones are service-related: babysitting, cutting lawns, washing cars, doing taxes, hauling, cleaning. I will do an article or two on some ideas. But service related businesses cost very little to start, and if you don’t get customers you don’t lose money, you just don’t make money. When you sell products, your money is tied up in the products, and you lose money to manufacturing and overhead. We’ll talk more about that later.
- Finally, there is no reason for anyone reading this article to ever be broke, period. There is too much opportunity. If you have time to surf Facebook, read blogs and watch TV or go to the club, you can be making money.
Hope I’ve given you food for thought. Thanks for visiting my blog.